Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine

Occasionally I write about topics that are not directly genealogical. Well, it’s not so much that they’re not genealogical as the fact that my peculiar mind sees connections between all sorts of things. And since I’m so taken with genealogy, it’s not surprising that I should play mental games of connect-the-dots and somehow tie almost any topic back to genealogy.

And that’s what I’m about to do with a movie I saw yesterday, Little Miss Sunshine. It’s true that it’s not for everyone (in many respects, the movie is the antithesis of its cheery title), but I can’t remember the last time I saw so much story stuffed into a single movie.

It’s not really genealogical – aside from the fact that it revolves around a tri-generational family. And this is as dysfunctional a family as you’ll ever find. But remarkably, this story -- that features just about every flaw a family could possess -- is about what I would call (with apologies to Stephen Colbert) “familyness.” In its twisted and unexpected way, it captures the very essence of what it is to be a family.

And family relates to genealogy, doesn’t it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home