Monday, August 07, 2006

Round Up: Rehab, Legacy, Politicians' Roots & A Man of Honor

Every once in a while, I like to share a few articles with a genealogical theme that I've tripped across. Generally, they're ones that I especially liked or disliked or just found quirky or interesting for some reason. There have been so many articles pertaining to DNA recently, that I've decided to address some of them separately (probably tomorrow). In the meantime, here's a batch of non-genetic articles for your perusal:

Rehab preserves history in Cherry Hill
OK, maybe I like this one because it's practically in my backyard (I'll wait a moment while everyone inserts their favorite turnpike exit jokes here). I live in Haddonfield, the historic town that's mentioned a few times here -- and one that appeals to folks with an interest in the past for obvious reasons. But the real reason I'm including this article is because I think what this family has done with a house that apparently dates to at least 1759 is terrific.

Passing On a Legacy
Think maybe I could get Harold and Betty Kelsey to adopt me? If only I came from a family that cared so much about gathering, protecting and sharing its stories (and yeah, the data, too). Share this with that relative who doesn't understand why you want to hear about what life was like "back then."

Family trees help debate grow
I was wondering if I was the only one noticing this, but apparently, I'm not. All sorts of politicians have been telling tales of their roots as part of the current debate about immigration. Lisa Friedman writes about this recent tendency of
Congress members to "whip out personal immigration tales."

A Man of Honor
When I went to Williamsburg, VA this weekend, I came across this heart-warming series of articles (about 10 in all) about
a former slave named Edward Ratcliff who earned the Medal of Honor in the Civil War and "then disappeared into an unmarked grave." You'll want to be sure to check out the accompanying video (it's not the greatest quality, but some of the images are really moving). My favorite? Marine Corps Cpl. Edward Radcliff (the spelling changed slightly) giving the flag from the ceremony to his grandfather, also named Edward Radcliff, who also happens to be the grandson of the original Edward Ratcliff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home